UNIT 1: Chapter 1,The Study of Life, 2 Chemistry in Biology, 3 OrganicChemistry and Macromolecules
Ch 1-3 Objectives:
--also take POP quiz on Google Classroom
- Define biology.
- Identify possible benefits from studying biology.
- Summarize the characteristics of living things.
- Explain the characteristics of science.
- Compare something that is scientific with something that is pseudoscience.
- Describe the importance of the metric system and SI.
- Describe the difference between an observation and an inference.
- Differentiate among control, independent variable, and dependent variable.
- Identify the scientific methods a biologist uses for research.
- Identify the particles that make up atoms.
- Diagram the particles that make up an atom.
- Compare covalent bonds and ionic bonds.
- Describe van der Waals forces.
- Evaluate how the structure of water makes it a good solvent.
- Compare and contrast solutions and suspensions.
- Describe the difference between acids and bases.
- Describe the role of carbon in living organisms.
- Summarize the four major families of biological macromolecules.
- Compare the functions of each group of biological macromolecules.
- 8/26/19 (first half of class); 8/26 (second part) last part to watch: Kahn Academy water lecture